Steampunk Fairy Tales: Volume 2 now available!

Read about it »

Blog Redesign

I just tweaked the design a few days ago, but I had some ideas while on the treadmill. Remember, I’m not a designer and I want to invest most of my time on writing.

 

 

I added a touch of color. Picking colors is very difficult. Basically, I found a color I liked then slid the hue around to find a primary and secondary color. The primary color was hard to read on regular sized links, so I had to choose a darker secondary color.

I also moved the title, Bitlather Chronicles, to the navigation bar. This saved some vertical space and looks less empty when viewed on a cell phone.

Also notice I inverted serifs. Header tags now use serifs, and just about everything else uses sans-serif. I like keeping both because it helps headers stand out.

 

 

I changed the styling on tags at the bottom of the article.

While falling asleep one night, I realized we could show pictures from the articles in list of blog articles. I thought this would make articles more appealing, and it was the major reason I updated the design again in such a short time.

I also like having an article summary with the blog title, so I updated related articles and random articles.

 

 

I made blog filters stand out more. I also cleaned up the paginator.

 

 

Not much has changed on the books page that I haven’t already discussed.

 

 

Reskinning the site was easy because I originally built it with a focus on functionality and content.

I’d like the design to fit the steampunk aesthetic better some day, but that’s beyond my skill level right now.

 
Related Articles

Blog Design Tweaks
I’m not a designer. Not even close. So when I built this site, I just used bootstrap, kept it simple, and focused on functionality over aesthetic. But it’s time to make a few changes. I’m not sure how much these changes will impact viewers, but I hope sharing this information will help you scrutinize your own blog. Read on

 

 


Blog Redesign #2
I believe in iterations. I love building a bare-bones product, using it, finding its faults, then making only the most valuable modifications. Time is short, after all. This article highlights some of the changes I made to the blog’s design last September. Read on

 

 


Design Thumbnails Using Imagemagick
To make the site more appealing, I started playing with imagemagick to generate eye-catching thumbnails. Our site still has a long way to go, but I prefer to make small improvements over time to holding up our site (and our writing) for a massive redesign. Read on